Sunday, February 22, 2009

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture/EDM 310

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo, was a video with so much to say and relay to others. I can’t recall having to watch a lecture online but this was well worth the time. Without making his illness a a focal point, Mr. Pausch, delivered a informative, heartfilled lecture.

First, I want to say that as educators, we really need to reflect on what “DREAMS” mean or meant to us and try very hard not to knock those of others. Mr. Pausch said, “Show others what is feels like to make others happy with something you are doing.” I feel as a teacher, all my 18 students look into my eyes and want something from me that no-one else may be able to give them and after viewing this video, I want to make a point of listening more and trying to do my best for them even more. I pray that I am not a “brick-wall” that stands in front of someone’s achievements or dreams so to speak. I pray that I am that teacher, mentor, parent, colleague or friend for someone and that I have made a difference and will continue to do so.

The fulfillment of childhood dreams are amazing. I can only remember wanting to be a teacher and here I am, in the process of that dream. I can’t recall anyone pushing me or pulling me from that dream. I remember being told that I can and will help others in a major way, maybe this is my time to shine, maybe not yet but it will happen.

Mr. Pausch also made a statement that people with large families are better people because they know how to get along. I don’t particularly agree with that, but I see his point. I speak only from a personal level when I say that my immediate family was small, but I do have a large family in general. Even with that in mind, I think I am the most easy going person to get to know. I see myself as one of the "tigger" people, that is happy and full of life, dedicated, honest and I try so hard to be prepared.

I look forward to reading and viewing more of professor Pausch’s work in my career. I was almost at the end of the video when I noticed that he passed away in July 2007 and my heart goes out to his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment