Sunday, February 15, 2009

Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

I believe there are many of ways to to convey lessons to children. In this post by Karl Fisch, he states that " All educators must achieve a basic level of technological capability." In saying that, I agree that some level is the key word here. If a person is able to turn the PC on and click on Internet Explorer, then that's their level. Mr. Fish says, "People who do not meet the criterion of #1 should be embarrassed, not proud, to say so in public. Maybe, maybe not. Not everyone believes in the things found on the Internet, maybe they are people who'd rather search and find physically what they desire. Instead of using technology to communicate, like emailing, some would rather pick up the phone. That's their choice.

As an educator, I agree that I am not an illiterate teacher. I have some computer skills that I can convey to my students at a certain level and I continue to search ways to increase my knowledge to help myself and my students/children.

At my job, there are some seasoned teachers who hasn't the slightest interest to learn about computers, that's their choice. I do not see how they got the certification they have without the use of a computer at some point. Personally, I wouldn't want to be one in the bunch who was technologically illiterate but that just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment